Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Getting Older by the Minute


Sophia, as you know, will be turning 2 in less than a week. She's constantly showing us signs that she's now a big girl - like how she said, "Yes, please" when Isaac asked her the other day if she wanted another helping of green peas, or how she used the potty after getting done taking a shower recently.

Taking a shower seems to be quite the big girl task in itself. But when you consider the fact that we don't have an actual bathtub - just one of those plastic kiddy tubs - sometimes its just easier to let her take a shower. She'll hold the wand and spray herself down (remembering always to do her "Po waschen*"), then use the Avon Roll-On Raspberry Scented Soap her Grandma Becky gave her, and then spray it off. She even does a pretty good job getting her hair wet so that all we have to do is wash it and rinse the shampoo out. I must also admit that she spends a lot of her time washing the shower walls while she's in there - which could be considered the act of a big girl, I guess. :)

She's also getting extremely fun to talk to. When I get home from work, Isaac always encourages me to tell her about my day, and it's really surprising how intently she listens. And how interested she actually looks. When I ask her about hers, she's got so much to say - about horses and monkeys and friends she saw at the post office or at playgroup. The world is her oyster...
Amidst all this growing up, though, I still look at her and see my baby. Despite her loooooong legs and arms, and the way she tells me, "No, no, no" in a really calm voice as she shakes her head, as if she's trying to teach me something I just don't get, she's still the one who started out so small inside of me. She's the one I have memories of lying on my chest after I gave birth to her, squinting because the light was too bright. The both of us feeling slightly out of place, yet also feeling like we were where we belonged. I remember about an hour after her birth she lay in the bassinette beside me. I stared into her eyes for what seemed like an eternity, before finally falling asleep. Our family of two had all of a sudden become a family of three, and nothing seemed more normal.

In about 7 months, that number will change again. And I have a feeling that she will grow up exponentially after that. For now, I want to enjoy my Baby Phia. Her task of Big Sister will come soon enough.



*Po waschen is German for "to wash your bottom".

7 Comments:

Blogger The Mad Fishicist said...

i can't get over how she holds her tongue when she colors.

and our family is growing, babe! can't wait.

love you.

February 27, 2007 7:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Katie, your love for that little angel is so amazing. I love those pictures of her coloring. the tongue in her cheek as she concentrates cracks me up. She is growing up so fast, and I think you'll be amazed how much quicker it happens after she turns two and become a big sister. Enjoy these moments with her.

February 27, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

How utterly awesome is your love for your family and now for the baby growing inside of you. Congratulations and I wish you all the joy and abundance that live can give... (I can't wait to see you in April!)

February 27, 2007 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to hear that you soon will be 4! Very exciting. With a little one as precious as Sophia it would be hard not to want another one. Thinking about having babies makes me smile (well, not the actual "having" but you get my point. But it's a ways out for us. Aaron has a year and a half left of school. Bless his heart, (self admittedly) he wouldn't know what to do with himself as a stay at home dad. :)

February 27, 2007 7:06 PM  
Blogger coolskool mom said...

she is so cute, the tongue action is great and her German too!

February 27, 2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger opax said...

A Whish for You, My Daughter

If there could be only one thing
In life for me to teach you,
I would teach you to loveā€¦

To respect others so that you may
find respect in yourself
To learn the value of giving,
so that if ever there comes a time
in your life when someone is really in
need, you will give
To act in a manner that you would
wish to be treated; to be proud
of yourself
To laugh and smile as much as you
can, in order to help bring joy
back into this world
To have faith in others;
to be understanding
To stand tall in this world and
to learn to depend on yourself
To only take from this earth
those things which you really
need, so there will be enough
for others
To not depend on money or
material things for your
happiness, but
To learn to appreciate the people
who love you, the simple beauty
that God gave you and to find
peace and security within
yourself

To you, my child, I hope I have
taught all of these thins,
for they are love.

- Donna Dargis

February 27, 2007 9:41 PM  
Blogger auntibeck said...

Opax--that was beautiful--really beautiful.

March 01, 2007 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home